- THE VIETNAM CENTER AND ARCHIVE
- Texas Tech University
On Thursday, September 30th, the Vietnam Center and Archive was proud to co-host, along with the Texas Tech System Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, the book launch for “David and Lee Roy: A Vietnam Story,” published by the Texas Tech University Press. Co-authored by Mr. David Nelson and Mr. Randolph B. Schiffer, this is a story of two childhood friends and graduates of Lubbock High School and Texas Tech University, David Nelson and Lee Roy Herron. While at TTU, both joined the USMC and received commissions. Nelson joined the JAG and was stationed in Okinawa, while Lee Roy joined the infantry and was sent to Vietnam. Two months into his tour Lee Roy was killed on the front lines, but not before making an impact on General Wesley Fox. A chance encounter with Col. Fox in the late 90′s led Nelson to decide to tell the story of his friendship with Lee Roy, and Lee Roy’s actions in Vietnam which earned him the Navy Cross.
The Vietnam Center and Archive has had a relationship with Mr. Nelson and with Lee Roy’s family for over fifteen years, and we are proud to be the home for many of Lee Roy’s personal items relating to his service, and we were honored to be able to participate in this greate event.
The authors will be conducting book signings on Friday, September 30th at 7:00pm at the Barnes and Noble in the Lubbock Mall, and from 10:00am-2:00pm at the United Market Street at 50th and Indiana in Lubbock on Saturday, October 1st.
More Information about the book signings and Lee Roy:
- David and Lee Roy Official Website
- TTU Communications and Marketing Story
- TTU Press
- Oral History Interview with Tony Remero about Lee Roy
- Oral History Interview with Andy Vaart about Lee Roy
- Lee Roy Herron Collection in the Vietnam Archive
- The Lee Roy Herron Scholarship
- Photographs from the Book Launch
- The Last Known Photograph of Lee Roy Herron at Fire Support Base Razor
No Comments »
No comments yet.