- THE VIETNAM CENTER AND ARCHIVE
- Texas Tech University
(050) 3rd Platoon, B Company amtracs transporting H company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd marines along Ca De Son River to Pho nan Thuong village. Marines sweep through village.
Oral History Workshop Resources
This Online Oral History Workshop is designed to provide basic guidance for conducting oral history interviews. The information contained in this presentation is based on the following sources:
Books, Articles, and Online Materials
- Baum, Willa. Transcribing and Editing Oral History. Nashville: American Association for State and Local History, 1977.
- Ritchie, Donald A. Doing Oral History. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1995.
- Oral History Association Home Page - This is the professional organization dedicated to Oral History and Historians
- Oral History Association Principles and Standards for Conducting Oral History - Professional standards and guidance for conducting oral history interviews; Oral History Association Resources Page
- H-Oral History - The Oral History section of the Humanities Net (aka H-Net)
- Columbia University Oral History Research Office - Contains a significant number of projects to include a Vietnam Veterans Project.
- Library of Congress "Using Oral History" - This is a basic guide for both teachers and students on how to use oral history resources.
- Oral History Links at Tennessee Technological University
- Oral History Techniques and Procedures - Full text version of the Oral History Guide used and published by the US Army Center of Military History.
- Center of Military History Online Oral History Collections - Contains information about the VNI and VNIT Collections (Vietnam Interview and Vietnam Interview Tape Collections) to include select transcripts. Many of these interviews were "exit" interviews, conducted as men and women were leaving Vietnam.
- The Journal of American History - Online articles on Oral History
Professional Workshops and Conferences
- Conference: Oral History Association Annual Meeting, October 2001, St. Louis, Missouri - "Silence Is Not Always Golden: The Challenges of Interviewing Veterans of War."
- Workshops: Oral History Association Conference, October 2000, Durham, NC - "Introduction to Oral History: Practice and Theory" & "Training Community Scholars in Oral History"