Researching Online (Digital Materials)
The Vietnam Archive currently has over 550,000 items (over 4 million pages) available online in a digital format. Types of materials digitized include documents and manuscripts, still and moving images, audio recordings, oral histories, maps, artifacts, and more. New items are being made available online daily.
To assist researchers, we have provided a variety of ways to access these digital materials.
The primary method for accessing digital materials is the Virtual Vietnam Archive search engine. The Virtual Vietnam Archive is the name of our complete digitization project, and this search page allows users to search all the materials in the Virtual Archive, including our collection Finding Aids, which are listings of the contents of our physical collections. By including finding aids in the Virtual Archive, we allow users to search across our entire holdings, both the individually digitized items, and collections that have not yet been digitized. Note that some items in the Virtual Archive will not be available to users outside of our building due to copyright issues.
There are also search pages available for some specific collections. The most significant is the Maps Collection search page. While the map collection is available in the Virtual Archive, the maps search page gives researchers some more specific search options, such as searching by latitude and longitude. Search pages are also available for the Graffiti Project Canvas Bunk Bottom Collection, our Operations Database of over 1300 operations conducted in Southeast Asia, and for names included in the Families of Vietnamese Political Prisoners Association Collection (operations and FVPPA Collection names are not available through the Virtual Archive search page).
Researches interested in looking through the holdings of the Vietnam Archive without going through the search page should try the various browse pages listed below:
- Browse the Collections - Finding Aids for collections listed alphabetically by last name of donor, or first letter of organization for associations. Finding Aids include links to digital materials when available.
- Newly Added Collections - listing of finding aids recently made available online.
- Frequently Used Collections
- Browse the Digitized Audio - listing of all digitized audio items (excluding Oral Histories) in the Vietnam Archive collections.
- Browse the Digitized Moving Images - listing of all digitized moving images items, including film and video, in the Vietnam Archive collections.
- Browse the Oral History Interviews - Oral History interviews arranged by last name of the interviewee.
- Newly Added Interviews - listing of interviews recently made available online.
- Veterans Organizations - list of veterans organizations that have donated to the Vietnam Archive, with links to digitized materials.
Other Digital Material Resources
Subject Guides are available for a variety of topics, with new guides added regularly. Many of the subject guides include links to digitized materials.
- The Tet Offensive
- April 30, 1975: Saigon
- Dustoff / Medevac
- Vietnamese Americans
- Robert S. McNamara
- Agent Orange
- Riverine Warfare / Brown Water Navy
- Michigan State University Advisory Reports
- Searches for Teachers
- JPRS Reports
- China Press
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS)
- Vietnam Issues and Answers Video Collection
- Vietnamese Language Newspapers
- Map Collection
- Indochina Chronology
- Diaries of Dr. Dang Thuy Tram
Conferences & Symposia
The Vietnam Center conducts yearly conferences and triennial symposiums. Sessions at these conferences cover a wide variety of topics, and are filmed and made available online following the conference.
Online exhibits are used to showcase specific aspects of our digital collections. More information and links to online exhibits can be found on our exhibits page.
Interested in just a sample from our still image collection? Go to our Random Image page.
Books are not available in digital formats through our website. The Vietnam Archive library contains over 10,000 titles, but these are non-circulating and must be used in our reading room. To search for books, go to the TTU Library Catalog.