- THE VIETNAM CENTER AND ARCHIVE
- Texas Tech University
Conferences, Symposia, and Events
To encourage continued study of all aspects of America's Vietnam experience, the Vietnam Center has developed an active program of conferences and symposia. Through these annual conferences and symposia, the Vietnam Center has brought together scholars, diplomats, statesmen, military professionals and veterans to discuss, debate and further understand the complex events that shaped the American experience in Southeast Asia. Past participants and speakers at these events include the Vietnam Center's former National Advisory Council Chairman Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr.; former CIA Director William E. Colby; Ambassador Douglas "Pete" Peterson; former South Vietnamese Prime Minister General Nguyen Khanh; Peoples Army of Vietnam Lieutenant General Nguyen Dinh Uoc; General William B. Rosson, US Army (retired); noted journalist Peter Braestrup and many others.
In addition to annual conferences, the Vietnam Center and Archive hosts a range of other events throughout the year, ranging from guest lectures to banquets to our annual Vietnamese New Year (Tet) celebration. See the Calendar of Events for closures and other events.
Upcoming Events, Conferences and Symposia
For a complete list of upcoming events and holiday closures, please see our Calendar of Events.
Past Conferences and Symposia
Since 1993, the Vietnam Center has conducted an annual conference focused on specific topics, such as the advisory effort in Vietnam, the assassination of Ngo Dinh Diem, etc. Every three years the Center hosts a much wider-ranging symposium, at which participants are encouraged to present papers on any topic relating to the American experience in Vietnam. These events provide a forum for scholars, students, authors and veterans to present new research. They also encourage others to continue research in this important field. In this respect, the Vietnam Center very actively encourages graduate students to attend and present papers.
- 2011 Symposium - 7th Triennial Vietnam Symposium, March 10-12, 2011
- 2010 Fall - US National Security Policy and Military Strategy: Understanding the Environment for Contemporary Warfare
- 2010 Summer - United States-Vietnam Relations: Toward a Brighter Future (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- 2010 Spring - Lessons Learned, Lessons Lost: Counterinsurgency from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan
- 2009 Spring - Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and the Vietnam War
- 2008 Symposium - 6th Triennial Vietnam Symposium, March 13-15, 2008
- 2007 Spring - The Impact of Culture, Ethnicity, Race and Religion in the Vietnam War
- 2006 Fall - Intelligence in the Vietnam War
- 2006 Spring - ARVN: Reflections and Reassessments After 30 Years
- 2005 Fall - Pleiku-Ia Drang Veterans 40th Anniversary Commemoration
- 2005 Symposium - 5th Triennial Vietnam Symposium, March 17-19, 2005
- Vietnam Symposium in Washington, D.C., May 13, 2003
- 2003 Conference - The Rise and Fall of Ngo Dinh Diem
- 2002 Symposium - 4th Triennial Vietnam Symposium, April 11-13, 2002
- 2001 Conference - The Advisory Effort and the Armed forces of the Republic of Vietnam
- 2000 Conference - The Overseas Vietnamese Experience
- 1999 Symposium - 3rd Triennial Vietnam Symposium, April 15-17, 1999
- June 1998 Conference for High School Teachers Agenda
- April 1998 Conference - Vietnam in Asia: Interdisciplinary Conference on Vietnamese Culture, History and Language
- 1997 Conference - Teaching Vietnam
- 1996 Conference - 2nd Triennial Symposium - After the Cold War: Reassessing Vietnam
Col John P. Geraci, 9th Inf Div, 1st Bde Cdr, and CPT Robert Kayzer, Bde Asst Intel Off, dash for a rescue ship after enemy shot down the C&C helo.
Other Previously Held Events
Vietnam Center and Archive events cover a variety of formats and topics, and occur at various times throughout the year.
- 2012 Vietnam Center and Archive Guest Lecture Series
- 4th Annual Vietnam Center and Archive Film Festival
- 2011 Vietnam Center and Archive Guest Lecture Series
- 3rd Annual Vietnam Center and Archive Film Festival
- Vietnamese New Year (Tet) 2011
- 2nd Annual Vietnam Center and Archive Film Festival
- Vietnamese New Year (Tet) 2010
- Vietnam Center 20th Anniversary Celebration
- 1st Annual Vietnam Center and Archive Film Festival
- Vietnamese New Year (Tet) 2009
- Archives Month 2008
- Vietnamese New Year (Tet) 2008
- Vietnamese New Year (Tet) 2006
- The Moving Wall 2005