In addition to the local advisory board, a National Council provides general guidance and support to the project. The Council is currently comprised of:
- Ambassador Bui Diem (former South Vietnamese Ambassador to the United States)
- Major General Kenneth Bowra, USA (Ret)
- Colonel Roger H. C. Donlon, USA (Ret and first recipient of Medal of Honor in Vietnam)
- Lieutenant Colonel James G. Zumwalt, USMC (Ret)
- Dr. Charles E. Neu, Professor Emeritus, Brown University
- Dr. Larry Berman, Professor, UC Davis
- Dr. Keith Taylor, Professor, Cornell University.
Former members of the National Council include Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr. (former Chairman), Ambassador Douglas "Pete" Peterson (former Chairman), General William C. Westmoreland, Ambassador William E. Colby, Professor Douglas Pike, and the Hon. William P. Bundy.