- THE VIETNAM CENTER AND ARCHIVE
- Texas Tech University
Oral History Project Interviews
Tay-Loc, South Viet Nam: Stark terror is written in the face of a young South Vietnamese mother as she comforts her child. She was among the villagers of Tay-Loc who evacuated their homes when Marines of the 1st Battalion strafed Viet Cong positions from helicopters recently. Jet bombers were also used in the action.
The Oral History Project employs two full-time oral historians and several transcriptionists to conduct interviews and make them available in the Archive and through the internet. The links below provide access to the interview audio, transcripts, and brief abstracts. Interviews online are in a streaming mp3 format and require a installed media player. Transcripts are in a PDF format and require a PDF viewer in order to be accessed.
Each interview will be transcribed verbatim, and transcripts for each interview will be available online as soon as the transcription and review processes are complete.
Browsing the Interviews
Researchers can now browse the Vietnam Archive Oral History Collection. Interviews are listed alphabetically by last name of the interviewee and include links to the audio and transcript (when available) of the interview. Many also include abstracts. Content of transcripts can be searched using your PDF reader's built-in Find feature. A separate page is also available to view newly added or completed interviews.
Researchers interested in searching for subjects across the oral history collection should use the Virtual Vietnam Archive search page.
- From the Virtual Archive Entry Page, click "Search the Virtual Vietnam Archive" in the left column.
- Click "Advanced Search" in the left column.
- In the right column under the "Narrow to Media Type" section, select "Oral History".
- Enter your search terms in the fields in the center section.
- Click "Start Search" in the left column.
- If the number of items retrieved is acceptable, click "Display Search Results". Otherwise, enter more search terms and click "Update Hits".
Other Oral History Resources
- United States Marine Corps History and Museums Division Oral History Interviews - The Vietnam Archive has formed a partnership with the USMC History and Museums Division to make USMCHMD interviews available online through the Virtual Vietnam Archive.
- Oral History at Other Institutions
For more information on the interview process, go to the How to Participate section of this website.