Riverine Warfare / Brownwater Navy
This subject guide is intended to assist researchers in locating Vietnam War Riverine Warfare materials located within the Vietnam Archive's physical and digital collections. Because the Vietnam Archive receives new collection donations every day, researchers should return to this site frequently to find newly donated and recently digitized historical materials. You can also search the Virtual Vietnam Archive directly.
Mobile Riverine Force
Patrol Boat River
River Patrol Boat
9th Infantry Division
Finding Aids describe whole collections, usually including a box or folder level inventory of the documents. They are a good way to quickly find large caches of documents on a single subject. To find individual documents, search the Virtual Archive [http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/] using the keywords suggested on the introduction page. Below is a list of finding aids and collection descriptions organized by category. Click on the link to view the complete finding aid. For collections with digitized materials, links to the digital materials will be available at the bottom of the finding aid page.
- Mobile Riverine Forces Association Collection (151)
- Albert Moore Collection (429)
- Paul Kasper Collection (562)
- Leon Robinson Collection (709)
- Jerry Bernhardt Collection (958)
- James Davy Collection (1035)
- Gamewardens of Vietnam Association Collection (1096)
- Loren Salzman Collection (1131)
- Edwin L. Oswald Collection (1206)
- Richard Bailey Collection (1251)
- Darryl (Bud) Skuce Collection (1332)
- Mervin Wayne Greene Collection (1349)
- Patrick Madden Collection (1410)
- Gary W. Moss Collection (1413)
- Stephen Watson Collection (1429)
- Leslie J. Cullen Collection (1437)
- Lester L. Westling, Jr. Collection (1454)
- USNS General Edwin D. Patrick Collection (1575)
- Arthur Price Collection (1620)
- Ralph Christopher Collection (1648)
- Andy Conklin Collection (1664)
Selected Books in the Vietnam Archive Library
- - Cullen, Leslie J. Brown Water Admiral: Elmo R. Zumwalt Jr. and the United States Naval Forces, Vietnam, 1968-1970. A Dissertation in History submitted to the Graduate Faculty of Texas Tech University: Lubbock, 1998.
- - Cutler, Thomas J. Brown Water, Black Beters: Coastal and Riverine Warfare in Vietnam. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1988.
- - Dunnavent, R. Black. Muddy Waters: A History of the United States Navy in Riverine Warfare and the Emergence of a Tactical Doctrine, 1975-1989. A Dissertation in History submitted to the Graduate Faculty of Texas Tech University: Lubbock, 1998.
- - Dunnavent, R. Blake. SEALORDS: The Riverine Interdiction Campaign in Vietnam. A Thesis in History submitted to the Graduate Faculty of Texas Tech University: Lubbock, 1992.
- - Gargan, Edward A. The River's Tale, A year on the Mekong. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2002.
- - Koburger, Charles W. The French Navy in Indochina: Riverine and Coastal Forces, 1945-1954. New York: Praeger, 1991.
- - Nguyen Thi Dieu. The Mekong River and the Struggle for Indochina: Water, War, and Peace. Westport, CT: Prager, 1999.
- - Schaff, Hart and Russell H. Fifield. The Lower Mekong: Challenge to Cooperation in Southeast Asia. Princeton, NJ: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1963.
- - Uhlig, Frank Jr., Editor. Vietnam: The Naval Story. Annaplis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1986.
- Gary Blinn - OH0308 - PBR
- Sumner Clayton - OH0238 - NAG
- Robert Eaton - OH0201 - PBR
- John Haseman - OH0105 - MACV
- Michael Harris – OH030 – Task Force 117 Armored Troop Carrier
- Emil Heugatter - OH0184 - PBR
- Charles Julienne - OH0374 - USN (Med)
- Russel McDonald - OH0156 - USN
- Steve Sumrall - OH0145 - PBR
- David White - OH0227 - PBR